Region/Level: Jamaica Aggregates Ltd.
Location: St. Thomas, Jamaica
Reports to: Operations Manager
Date: January 1, 2019
The Plant Manager is responsible for leading the plant operations of Jamaica Aggregates Ltd. (JamAgg) at its Yallahs, St. Thomas location. The Plant Manager works with his/her team to ensure the highest levels of safety, environmental compliance, and product & service quality, while focusing on optimizing capital employed; attaining the highest levels of productivity; and achieving the lowest cost of production. He/she ensures that JamAgg is viewed as a valued member of the local communities in which it operates. He/she works in cooperation with Joint Venture partners to maximize safety and profit.
This role has a strong emphasis on professional plant and personnel management: budgeting & forecasting, labour & equipment utilization, capital planning, project management, preventative maintenance, and ensuring manufacturing best practices & tools are fully utilized across the market area. The Plant Manager will work closely and effectively with Joint Venture partners, safety, environment, land, sales, customer service, performance and finance personnel. The Plant Manager will also work very closely with LafargeHolcim’s Manufacturing and other Business Support Teams who are responsible for best practices being implemented across the Region.
- Safety: Ensures that employees, equipment, and processes meet or exceed the Local and LafargeHolcim guidelines. Pursues a culture of safety that is best in class. Actively engages with the workforce to reinforce safe behaviours and drives toward the goal of “zero” injuries and accidents at the operations
- Environment: Establishes the environment as a priority in operations management. Reinforces the need to meet or exceed environmental compliance amongst operational personnel.
- Operations Strategy: Develops an operational strategy for the plant: identifies operational deficiencies and areas of opportunity based on systematic processes (i.e., ensure high equipment utilization through statistical analysis and benchmarking, productivity / TPMH improvement through analysis, scheduled PERs, and monthly fuel and power consumption tracking).
- Operations Planning: Ensures the proper processes and tools are utilized to plan operational activities: examples include mine plans (i.e., stripping, extraction, progressive rehabilitation), maintenance programs (i.e., preventative maintenance, winter shutdown), capital planning, PERs and performance planning/budgeting & forecasting.
- Capital Expenditure Requests (CERs): Works with his/her team and the LafargeHolcim Manufacturing team to analyze capital needs and prepare appropriate requests for capital. Capital Requests (CERs are completed by the Operations Manager and his team in a professional manner consistent with JamAgg and LafargeHolcim best practices. Presentations are given to the Board with relevant facts and figures for decisions.
- Operations Analysis and Action Tracking: Ensure that key operational data is reviewed and analyzed monthly (i.e., cost items, uptime, TPMH, consumption reports). Tracks progress against actions and targets/KPIs. Investigates variances and ensures corrective actions are established.
- Plant Image: Ensures that plant image guidelines exist across JamAgg and are well implemented / enforced. The guideline is to promote a professional image in a standard and consistent manner to our operations. Plant image includes housekeeping, parts storage, vehicles and equipment condition (cleanliness and appearance), entrance, property, and building.
- HR/Coaching & Mentoring: Works closely with plant supervisors to develop a professional approach to operations management. Conducts professional monthly operations meetings with clear agendas and priorities. Communicates company initiatives and pursues best practices. Identifies underperformance and established corrective action. Recognizes and celebrates successes. Develops and motivates staff. Selects, hires, trains, and terminates as required.
- Association Involvement: Participates in industry associations as a representative of JamAgg. Promotes JamAgg’s interest and communicates in a manner which upholds the company as a good corporate citizen.
- Customer Focus: Interacts with customers to ensure their expectations for quality and quantity of material are met. Works with the Commercial Manager to ensure operations and sales are working together to supply the customer with the highest quality products that meet their specific needs.
- Analyze expenses for significant trends and variances.
- Review and analyze operating results in relation to cost, budgets, and performance of plants
- Manage preparation of all reports related to business evaluation; analyze significant variances from planned or forecast results, and provides interpretative comments and recommendations to management
- Conduct special business-related analysis and projects to support operations
- Financial review of new growth, spending control, and investment initiatives
- Ability to prioritize work, summarize data for reports, find solutions to fact gathering problems
- Assist in budget development
Relationships with Others Jobs:
- Reports to JamAgg Operations Manager
- Works closely with Managing Director and Commercial Manager
- Leads a team of Supervisors who lead a team of plant personnel
- Safety and environment of all operations in JamAgg network
- Responsible for achievement of cost objectives for JamAgg
- Optimize capital employed, productivity, and maximizing labour & equipment utilization
- Utilization of best practices and operational management tools
- Development of operational personnel
- 30 to 50+ total employees
- 5 – 8 direct reports
Education & Work Experience
- An undergraduate degree in mining or engineering, or significant industry experience
- A Masters in Engineering or Business Administration is an asset and is preferred
- A minimum of 7 years relevant experience
Knowledge & Skills:
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Excellent people management skills; ability to develop effective internal and external relations
- Disciplined and process-oriented
Job-Specific Competency Profile (Lominger):
- Business Acumen
- Command Skills
- Developing Direct Reports and Others
- Drive for Results
- Integrity and Trust
- Interpersonal Savvy
- Managing and Measuring Work
- Peer Relationships
- Process Management
Deadline for Application: February 28, 2019